If In Doubt: Whinge

If I haven't got the trappings of adulthood, I'm not going to act like one.

Monday 4 August 2008

Prevarication #2

Hello. My name is Dive, and I am a recovering Geek.

As such, I have no shame whatsoever that a tiny bit of wee came out when I saw this:

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2008/08/the_large_hadron_collider.html

Now, I have no idea what it does, but blind me if it ain't just magnificent - huge in scale, shiny in sheen and just a tad scary. Much like an extra-large doner from Hassan's of Broad Street. (More on that at a future date.)

I am a bit worried, though, at some friend's responses. One thought it looked a bit like 'a stargate wormhole membrane'. Now, I don't know anything about Stargate - I think I was in rehab, having Elementary Offside Rule and Talking To Girls 101 hammered into my overly-foreheaded skull at the time it opened - but nonetheless, I seized the opportunity to throw out a testosterone-laden ManRetort. Something about reminding me of an ex, I think.

(The act of retorting was, in itself, quite pleasant. Look at me, I tfelt I had said. I have rejoined society. My sandals have retired. I go outside. I HAVE TAN.)

Unsurprisingly it fell on deaf ears. Being unfunny, and all.

But - in a possibly karmic sense - I may as well have fallen into some sort of wormhole today.* Eight hours on to account for on my timesheet, no lunchbreak, but somehow a grand total of 2 hours billable toil.

I think I might be in some trouble come tomorrow morning.


*I'm referring to it as a VorDesk.

No comments: